Monday, February 14, 2011

Some Valentine Fun

Happy Valentines Day!

We had some fun this year for Valentine's Day. I found a great hair blog, with tons of videos and tutorials on different hairstyles. So, I tried out some of the Valentine ideas on my girls. (Well, not Leilani, because she is too cool for that now - but she did say I could do her hair for crazy hair day tomorrow!)
Emily is sporting the heart braid...
and we did a three heart twist on Elisabeth's hair. I am excited to try more cute ideas in the future. If you want to check the site out, here is the link:



http://www.princesshairstyles.com/2009/01/valentines-day-hairdos.html

We also did our nails - except for Leilani again. She's a party pooper :( But she did have me just braid her hair down her back and put a heart ponytail on it. Who knows why she wouldn't do her nails? Elisabeth is sporting her own individual style of red and pink alternating nails.

I made the kids pink "love cakes." We dyed the pancake batter pink, and then Emily decided that we should add frozen blueberries because I told them how my dad used to add all kinds of fruit to our pancakes on Saturday morning. (She originally wanted to add orange slices, but that just sounded gross to me. My dad used lots of fruit - apples, pears, bananas, etc. - but never oranges.) I just used cookie cutters to make the shapes on the griddle. I learned that it is much easier to remove the mold if you spray it with PAM first, but they will come off if you use a knife to loosen the edges.
The finished product was yummy! Benjamin asked why I made Mickey Mouse shapes for Valentines day. I said, "Do we love Mickey Mouse?" They all answered "yes," and the matter was settled.
I also decided to try making a conversation heart candle this year. It turned out cute, and it was fairly easy.
I bought a white pillar candle and some sweetheart candy. I traced around each heart with my mom's ceramic tool, and then carved the wax out of the hole and pressed the candy heart into the hole.

I melted the leftover wax and put a layer of wax over the candy hearts to seal them. I needed a different brush for this part, and I needed to keep the wax hot instead of letting it cool down and then have to heat it up again, but live and learn! I enjoyed making it, and it is a cute decoration. Next year I am going to try a picture frame. Did any of you do any cute crafts for Valentines?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What a great mom to do the hair, the nails, the pancakes! So fun. Love the candle too.