Monday, July 15, 2013

Our First 5K

.
Our stake Relief Society sponsored a 5k run/walk this year. They had us set goals to work toward the 5k, and tied that into using the atonement in our lives. We all decided to participate. My mom and I decided to walk (although I did run a little bit at the beginning and end), Kim and Leilani decided to run, and Emily was undecided when we started the race.
I decided that I had to go to the bathroom before we started (and dragged Emily with me), but by the time we got back, the walkers had already started (they staggered everyone's start time - walkers first, then run/walkers, and then runners)  So, Emily and I had to run a ways to catch up with everybody.  She did fine, but I was out of breath by the time we caught up.
When Aunt Tricia caught up with us later (with the run/walkers), Emily decided that she wanted to try running the rest of the way.  So she went off with Aunt Tricia.  I don't know if she made it without stopping, or if she had to walk a bit.
Leilani started in the last heat with the runners.  She finally passed us about 2/3 the way through the race.  She only had to stop and walk a few times.
We took Robert with us, because my mom thought she would walk better if she could push the stroller.  He enjoyed being outside and walking with us.  We all finished the race, and even ran the last little bit at the end.
We were proud of ourselves!  It felt really good to say we did it, and it felt really good to do it.  I think we will all probably do it again someday.

No comments: