Sunday, October 16, 2011

From Blog to Print


I recently bought a coupon from Living Social for a company that will print up your blog in book form. I decided to try it on a whim. After all, I used to put a lot of time into blogging, and although it is a good family record and good way to keep in touch with people, who goes back and looks at the old blog entries?

I decided that based on the number of pages I would need to print out the whole blog, I would only do one year at a time. So I started with 2007 - which is when I started my blog. It was really easy to do. I just had to sign into my blog and tell them which dates I wanted to start and end with. I chose a cover style, and they did the rest. I let them randomly pick a picture for the cover, although I could have picked one if I wanted to do that. Then I ordered it and forgot about it. When it came in the mail, I was pleasantly surprised...I loved it! I had forgotten a lot of the things that I had blogged about. I had thoughts and feelings recorded, family events, funny moments with my kids, memories of my grandfather...it was great! Now I had it all bound up as a family record for my posterity (and I didn't feel so guilty about not keeping a consistent journal). My husband and kids have spent lots of time reading through it and looking at the pictures, and they agree that the book was well worth the money. They had also forgotten some of the things we had done that year, and loved to see their younger selves. So, I will have to work towards printing the other years out too.
I am now recommitted to blogging. I haven't done much with it in the past year, only recording things here and there, but now that I can see what kind of record it can become I am going to try and do a lot better.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This looks great! And how fun to be able to browse through it all.