Monday, October 24, 2011

Primary Program

Yesterday was our Primary Program. It was nice, and I got all teary eyed as usual. It was especially bittersweet because it was Emily's last primary program. I am only going to have two kids in primary next year!! My kids are all growing up - faster than I would like. :) Emily was one of the two narrators, and she did a nice job. Elisabeth did a nice job too. And then there was Benjamin... He did a nice job, don't get me wrong, he is just a whole different species than my little girls. My girls sit up on the stand reverently, sing the songs nicely and say their parts perfectly. My son plays with the hymn books on his face and head, "gun fights" (using fingers) with his cousin and friend, makes dramatic arm and hand movements during the songs (but he knows all the words and sings them too), marches, etc. etc. I guess you would say he is just all boy!

I practiced their parts with them on the way to church, and every time he said his part to me he would use a funny voice or say it in a funny way. I had visions of this continuing in Sacrament Meeting, so I threatened him with his life - and not going to Grandma's house, which was by far more important to him than his life - if he did not just say it nice and loud and slow in a normal voice. He reluctantly agreed. When he got up to give his part, he looked out at the audience, gave a big deep sigh, and then said his part just as he promised. Alan and I were laughing, because we decided we could just read his mind at that point - going through all the possible ways he could say his part, and then just accepting with a big sigh that life would just be better if he made his mom happy and said it the boring way. (I asked him later why he gave a big sigh before he gave his part, and he answered, "I have to breathe before I can talk, Mom. So I took a breath and then talked." - with an implied, duh in his tone at the end.)

There was a point in time where I absolutely could not stand his behavior on the stand anymore. (He wasn't the worst behaved, but he was way beyond my expectations) I had been able to catch his eye before, and give him "the look" and have him settle down (after he cheerfully waved at me and saw that I wasn't smiling and waving back). And I had shown him my folded arms and had him settle down, but this time he wasn't looking at me at all. So, I told Alan I was going to go up there and sit in his chair with him on my lap and make him sit reverently. I decided I was going to count to five and then get up. Just as I said 4 to myself, both Sister Jean and Sister Bell leaned over to him and got him behaving again. So I stayed in my seat and decided that maybe that was a sign from the Lord that I needed to not make a scene during the program.

I love that little boy, and he really is a good kid, but he definitely proves to me that boys and girls are very different. I was proud of him for memorizing his part, and giving it nicely, and for learning all the verses of all the songs. I would just like him to contain his fun loving, cheerful exuberance for life a little bit when he is on the stand in Sacrament Meeting. Maybe next year...

1 comment:

Mark and Shauna said...

LOL... hmm this reminds me so much of a very energetic little 2 year old boy I know! Soooooo you're saying by 4 (wait, or is it 5 already?) years old boys don't mellow out even a little? Darn.;)