Sunday, September 30, 2007

In Memory Of Jack Russell Bevans








My grandfather died on Saturday, September 29, 2007. He was my father's dad. I probably knew him the least of my four grandparents, but I did love him. He and my grandma were divorced before I was born, so we didn't see him very often. In fact, I've probably seen him more in the past few years than I ever did before. I have a few memories of him from my childhood. I remember that we would visit him and he would have popcorn balls that he made for us. He liked to hunt and go shooting with my dad. I remember shopping at Kmart for clothes for him for Christmas with my mom. I remember that he needed sizes in the Big and Tall department. I remember going to his house with a basket of food at Christmas time. We would carol to him and give him the basket. It used to be forbidden to invite Grandma and Grandpa to the same event. I don't know if it really was forbidden, but I never would have dreamed of inviting Grandpa anywhere that Grandma was going to be. I do remember the make-up bag that he gave me for my high school graduation. I believe that I still have it tucked away somewhere. When I got married I decided that I was going to invite both grandparents to the reception. I didn't know if Grandpa would come, but I was excited when he did. Grandma and Grandpa were both there at the same time, and the world didn't end...it was amazing! I even had my picture taken with both of them (but not together). When my kids came along, it was important to me that they know their great-grandparents. As his health has failed the last few years, we haven't visited as often as we should, but we have tried to visit him on his birthday, Father's day, Christmas, etc. I've learned more about him. I never knew that he was a good artist or that he liked strawberry shakes (so do I). I didn't know that his mother had him get baptized into the church before he left for the war (World War II) for her peace of mind. I am sad that he is gone, but I am glad that his pain is over. When I took the older girls to see him last week, he seemed to be in a lot of pain and discomfort. I was able to tell him that I loved him, and hear him tell me that he loved me too. He is in a better place now, and he has family there to be with him. He never made it to the temple while he was on this earth, so we can do his work for him and hope that he accepts it. I am thankful that we were able to live here and have him in our lives. I never knew any of my great-grandparents, and I hope that my children realize how lucky they have been to know two of theirs. I am having them write down their memories of great-grandpa so they will remember.
Leilani wrote:
Great grandpa was skinny and nice. His name was Jack and he liked going fishing. He was happy. I made him a tie for Father's Day (the gold one in the picture above). He liked kids. He had problems. He liked company. He was a great drawer.
Emilyanne wrote:I remember visiting great-grandpa. We would bring him a treat and we would sit on his lap and listen to his stories. He was really nice. I miss him. I liked visiting him. I am sad he is dead.
Elisabeth wrote:I remember taking pictures with great-grandpa. He was happy to see us.

1 comment:

LeaAnne said...

Lisa you will always be glad you did this with the girls! I am proud of you my friend.