Sunday, October 7, 2007

Grandpa's Funeral









My grandpa's funeral was on Thursday. (My kids' great-grandpa and my dad's dad) It was a nice service. My brother Chris gave a nice talk and the great-grandkids all sang "I Am a Child of God." My Uncle Rod and my Aunt Sharee also spoke. He was buried in the Roseburg National Cemetary because he is a World War II veteran. It is so full that you have to be cremated to be buried there now. My mom was afraid the kids would have a hard time with cremation, so they put his urn inside a coffin for the funeral. Since we were going to the burial in Roseburg, I explained to my kids about how Great-grandpa was cremated. They didn't have a problem with it at all. In fact, they wanted to know why they didn't get to watch! Morbid children. They did a nice military ceremony at the graveyard and then my dad dedicated the grave. Each of us got a turn shoveling earth into the grave and then Leilani got to carry the flag to the car. It was a nice day. We will miss him, but we are glad he is out of pain and in a better place.

2 comments:

Alli said...

Glad you shared your pictures. It was a nice service. Looks like the graveside service was nice too. You gotta love those morbid kids :)

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

Hello Lisa-
How wonderful of a surprise to get your comment. I didn't know you were a blogger, I'm new at this and love it. I can now get update more then just once or twice a year when I see you camping or christmas. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I just went by that area with my parents and they told me about the service. (I have to say I did not know he was still alive, I did not know your grandma and grandpa were divorced.)

PS I love your mobid kids too!