Monday, October 29, 2007

A Pirate's Life For Me





As fans of the Pirates of the Carribean ride and the resulting Pirates movies, we made sure to show our true colors the day we went to the new Pirate Island at Disneyland. They have changed Tom Sawyer's Island to a pirate theme (justifying it by pointing out that Huck and Tom played pirates), and you can hunt for treasure and meet Captain Jack Sparrow. We met Captain Jack, and he was just as he was in the movies. He didn't like Alan's shirt, stole Benjamin's hat, tried to fix the girls' hair like his own, tried to add Estela's ring to his treasure trove and played around with everyone's words. Adults cannot dress up at Disneyland (but note the pirate t-shirts), but my sister Kim and I made outfits for the girls (I already had one for Benjamin that I found in my Ebay stuff). Kim was very creative and made her own patterns for the kids out of newspaper. I just did what she told me to help and then made the head pieces. Emilyanne had already begged a pirate dress from Grandma, so of course the other girls had to have something pirate too. They were so cute! We also went on the new and improved Pirates of the Carribean ride while they were dressed up. They have added Davy Jones, Barbosa and Captain Jack Sparrow to the ride, but it is mostly still the same. All in all it was jolly good day. The only weird thing was that they had a skeleton dressed as Santa claus at the Haunted Mansion (Jack Skellington from the movie "Nightmare Before Christmas"), and everytime Benjamin saw it he said, "pirate." I don't know if he thought it was a pirate because it was a skeleton or if he thinks Santa Claus looks like a pirate. I guess we'll have to wait for Christmas and see what he says then.


1 comment:

Alli said...

Those are awesome costumes! I can't believe you guys made them! Wow. Looks like a good time. Too bad Cap'n Jack wasn't Depp :)