Sunday, February 22, 2009

Asian Celebration

Yujin Gakuen performed at the Asian Celebration last week. Only 5th, 2nd and K performed, so only Leilani and Elisabeth participated. I was surprised at how long it takes them to get the kids dressed in these fancy kimonos. They use rubber bands and ties in several different places to get them to look just right. Leilani had a picture of her getting dressed in the paper last Sunday too.
One of the Japanese interns had to show me how to do Elisabeth's headband. One of these days I will get the hang of all this. I only videoed the performance, and Dad hasn't taken it off his camera yet, so I don't have anything of the actually dancing and singing from the celebration. I did take some video clips from the rehersal at school. (they are definitely clips because my card kept filling up) They are not dressed in the Japanese attire, but they are doing the same dances and songs.

This is the towel dance. It is a little different.

This is the dance they do with fans
All of the singing videos were too big for blogger, but here is the Japanese chant song.
The kids made headbands with their names on them in Japanese. They decided to make Jackson (Mark's new baby) a headband with his name on it too, since he came and watched the girls perform.
Benjamin loved his, and didn't want to take it off all day. (Apparently I put it on upside down, though, so his name is upside down - who knew?!)
I think Jackson liked his too.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Aw! What fun! And what great memories.

Kim said...

I am sorry I missed the actual asian celebration (not really) but Travis and I had a fun time watching the rehearsal at their school. That's pretty cool that Lani got to have her picture in the paper- I bet she liked that. Oh, and love the headband pictures!

Alli said...

The kids look like a bunch of mini Karate Kid's :) Would it bother any of them to be called "Daniel-son"?