Saturday, August 15, 2009

Spring Trip to Utah - Arches

We have been to Arches several times before, but I never tire of its beauty.

This is us at the Delicate Arch lookout point. In the background you can see the arch.
Notice my dad's new camera. This was one reason why we visited all these parks - he wanted to try it out on different scenery.
We hiked up to Delicate Arch with Mike and Alicia. Dad and Jeremy went ahead, because they didn't want to hike as slow as the kids. They were trying to get pictures of the arch in certain light.

We made it up to the arch and took some cool pictures. My kids were the only kids up there. People kept making comments about how they couldn't believe my kids made that hike, and what a brave mom I was to take them on it. I guess I didn't think twice about it, because I made the hike several times myself as a child. I think the trend is to underestimate what kids can do these days.
It really freaked people out that I took my kids over to the arch itself. (especially my brother-in-law Jeremy...he kept saying how glad he was that his kids didn't come on this hike) It is not as dangerous as it looks. Again, I did it as a kid...

The kids got their Junior Ranger awards at this park too.
This is one of the window arches. The southern one I think. Benjamin didn't take this hike with us because he was sick, so he stayed in the car with Grandma.
I think this one was Turrent arch
It is such beautiful scenery at Arches, but much too hot in the summer! (which is why we went in the spring this time)
I think this is Double arch.


This was our hike out to Landscape Arch.

If you look close, you can make out Landscape Arch behind the kids.

I do not remember the name of this arch, but it was on the way to Sand Dune arch (which I didn't get a picture of, because my dad took our picture there) I would highly recommend Arches. It has a lot to do and see, even if you don't take the long hikes.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

WOW you guys have really been busy this summer! :)

Miss you.