Tuesday, March 18, 2014

St. Patrick's Day 2014

I had a good time with St. Patrick's day this year.  I have been inspired by Pinterest lately.  I made a cute "pot of gold" appreciation for my husband, cute notes that went in my kids' lunchboxes, cute notes for my primary class, and two decorations for my house.  I also did Elisabeth's hair really cute in "shamrock" style. 
 
 My Husband
 I found this cute and easy printable to use for my husband's gift.  I downloaded it here: http://www.thedatingdivas.com/holidays/st-patricks-day/your-free-march-printable/   Technically you are supposed to sign up for their emails to have access to this printable, but I can forward you the email with the password if you are interested.  Just let me know.
 
 After you cut out the hearts, you are supposed to write something that you love about your spouse on each one.  Then you punch a hole in them and tie them together.  I used a small metal ring that I had around.
 You finish it by filling a container with gold wrapped candy - because the last heart says "you are my pot of gold" - and putting the stack of hearts in it.
 
This is how mine turned out.  I was pretty lazy with the container, but my husband loved it anyway!

My Kids
 I found these printable St Patrick's day notes here: http://blog.chickabug.com/2013/03/free-printable-st-patricks-day-school-lunch-notes.html  She has plain ones to write your own notes with, and printed ones that you have to finish the sentence.
 I used the already printed ones, and then personalized it for each kid.
I attached one of these gold candies from the dollar store, and slipped it in their lunch box as a surprise.  They were pretty happy.  Benjamin and Elisabeth came running to the car excited and thanking me when I picked them up.  The two older girls were more nonchalant about it, but you could tell they liked it.

My Primary Class

 For my primary class, I used these free jar lid printables that I found here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Computer-is-My-Canvas/131615706876321?id=131615706876321&sk=app_208195102528120  ( I think you actually have to "like" her facebook page to access her free printables, but it is totally worth it!  She has lots of cute ones listed, and adds new ones periodically).
I added the words "in primary" at the bottom, and glued one of the gold candies from the dollar store on it.  I actually handed these out in my class on Sunday, since it was the day before, but I don't think the kids cared that it wasn't actually the real day.

My Crafts
 
 I bought some wood frames at Goodwill to paint and frame some of the free printables that I have found online.
 I found these two St. Patrick printables that I really liked.  I found the "kiss me" one here:  http://www.thetomkatstudio.com/photo-styling-ideas-for-hgtv-st-patricks-day-decorating-craft-ideas/  (she has other cute ideas too)  and the St. Patick subway art here:  http://todaysfabulousfinds.blogspot.com/2011/02/st-patricks-day-subway-art-prints.html (she has the same subway art available in several color combos)
 This craft went fairly quickly.  I painted the frames, and popped the artwork in.

Quick and easy!  It doesn't get any better than that.

Elisabeth's Hair
This is how we did Elisabeth's hair.  I didn't take a picture in the morning, I forgot, so this is how it looked at the end of the day.  A few of  the rubber bands had broken, and the hearts falling out a bit, but overall not too bad.
It was supposed to look like this, but I am not a pro obviously.  Elisabeth recently got her hair cut, and it was really hard to do the heart shapes on her short hair.  I needed to wet and gel her hair first, but we didn't leave enough time.  Also, when we put her hair in a ponytail, it didn't leave enough hair for the hearts, so we had to do a half pony tail instead.  Oh well, it will be fantastic next year.  People still seemed to think it was cute.

We have never really celebrated this holiday much, but I think I will from now on.  I already have some cute placemats saved for next year, and several ideas in my Pinterest folder.  It was kind of fun to make the day special for everyone.

No comments: