Monday, August 6, 2007

Fantasy Sports


We just finished our annual Fantasy football draft. If anyone had told me 8 years ago that I would be playing fantasy sports, I would have laughed them out of the room. Me and sports do not mix! However, I decided to do fantasy football with my husband, so we could do something sports related together (he is a sports addict), and we are still sharing a team all these years later. I have even expanded into having my own team in baseball and basketball.

So, what is the draw for someone who totally detests watching sports? Winning! We play in a family league made up of my five brothers, my mom, my husband, my sister, Kari, for football and basketball, and a few of my brothers' friends. It is just so satisfying to beat my brothers at their own game (or the other men in the league for that matter). They just have a hard time handling it. I won the fantasy baseball league two years ago. No one would acknowledge it for a long time, and then of course it was explained away as a fluke. My team name is the Unicorns, and they love to frolic all over the manly named teams in the league. I remember we were at my brother Mark's wedding the August that I was leading our baseball league, and one of his friends asked me about trading a player. I had no idea who the player was that he was talking about, and apparently that was just amazing. My brother,Todd, who had been listening just turned to the guy and said,"and this is the person who is in first place..." What glee I get!!! I do best at baseball, because I can research the stats and understand them. I find basketball a lot harder, and I don't do very well. But Alan and I do fairly well together with our football team (named the more manly Dragons name). We finished first once and have been second a couple of times. I have more time to research than alan, but he is actually willing to watch the games and read the recaps. Not I. Anyway, we are now official for 2007. Baseball runs at the same time for a few months, so it keeps me busy. I am racing for a top spot in baseball, so I can't neglect it for a moment. I have a love/hate relationship with my players (especially A-Rod) and I need to encourage them to keep up. I do not know many of the players we drafted for football this year, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out. Alan knows a lot of the names from college ball, since he prefers that to pro.

2 comments:

Alli said...

Ahhhh, fantasy sports..the "other woman" in Todd's life. I wish I could get into it - well, not really. I actually wish he could get out of it. But then I'm sure it's good to have an activity all you guys can participate in together. It's just those times when I have to listen to and hour and a half of trash talking with Mark over the phone while I'm trying to watch American Idol. I can't handle that...but then he did name his team a non-manly name for my sake, the "Avonlea Friendmakers"

Lisa said...

True, and he received lots of razzing for his name. But he's proven it's a winning name!