Saturday, August 4, 2007

Oh, No!

I got a phone message today that injected a surge of adrenaline and despair into my body. My mother-in-law left a message telling us that they were leaving tomorrow and would be here Tuesday. Now don't get me wrong, we love to have my mother-in-law and father-in-law visit. My kids ask all the time when Grandma and Grandpa Walker are going to visit again. It just stresses me out, because I am a terrible housekeeper. And to top off the normal mess, we started cleaning out the garage yesterday and there are boxes all over the house that I brought in to go through. So, I guess they will go back out in the garage for now. If I think positively, we have been making baby steps since they last visited. My guest bathroom is clean (they can even shut the door) and I am caught up on the laundry (so they don't have to jump over piles in the bathroom). All the boxes in the toy room have been unpacked, so we could turn it into a bedroom for my son. And we finally unpacked the dining room and moved the furniture around. But my bedroom is still a no man's land (then again, they do not have to go in there) and the living room has become the new toyroom by default. I guess we will see what we can do in two days. Tomorrow is shot because my brother, Chris, is blessing his baby and then we are having a family dinner. After dinner we are having our all important fantasy football draft, so nothing much will get done until Monday. That is when the adrenaline and despair will really kick in. And Tuesday? I will be running on pure stress. Oh, well. I am sure after 11 years of marriage to their son, they are not expecting us to be anything we are not. It would just be nice to have them pleasantly surprised when they came. To have the kind of house that was ready for anyone anytime. I tried Flylady once or twice, and it helped me get a few routines down, but I don't think I was committed enough to make a huge difference. Maybe I will try it again when school starts. Sigh...I just have to remember baby steps!

No comments: