Friday, December 14, 2007

My Maytag Ordeal

I am so happy today, because my dishwasher is finally working. Dishpan hands and I are not a happy pair. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that my five month ordeal has ended.


It all started the beginning of July, when we got a recall notice in the mail for our dishwasher. Some models were causing fires because of a defect in the door where the rinse aid is added. We called and sure enough, our model was one of the ones that were involved in the recall. They would mail the parts needed to fix it and send us a list of companies to call that could repair it for us. So, please don't use the dishwasher until it is fixed. When we hadn't received anything by August, we called again. Oops, they had forgotten to send the stuff. Don't use your dishwasher, we will get it right out.


Fast forward to September. We finally get our parts in the mail. We call down the list of companies. Some are not doing the recall fix. Everyone else is too busy. The soonest we could get someone to come is the beginning of October. Needless to say, I am using my dishwasher all this time. It works perfectly, and I don't use a rinse aid so I figure the chance of us having a fire is minimal. When the guy finally comes, it takes him a long time and he is having problems, but he finally says everything is perfect. So, we run the dishwasher that night and wake up to cracked dishes because the water in the dishwasher is not working. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. So we call the company back and explain that the dishwasher worked perfectly until they "fixed" it and now the water doesn't work. Could they come back and fix it? No! They are much too busy. But they could come back in about three weeks. You've got to be joking? No. So, I angrily work the phones trying to get Maytag to fix my dishwasher. Finally I get an authorization code to call another company and see if they can come fix the problem sooner. I found a nice man who said he could come in two days. Great! He came, fixed the problem and left. We are so happy for almost three weeks, but the week before Thanksgiving the water is not working again (more cracked dishes). AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh


So we call the man back, but he is closed until the week after Thanksgiving, so we endure. When we finally get hold of him, he says he won't come back because Maytag hasn't paid him for the first trip out. So, it is back to the phones, arguing with Maytag. What about this great reputation they are supposed to have? Quality products? Repairmen who have nothing to do because their products don't need repairs? (is it all a lie...?) They have to discuss it and get back to us. A week later they call and say we can have the guy come back and they will pay him. Yes, they will call him and work everything out. When we call him, however, he hasn't heard from them. Wait, wait, wait. Call Maytag again. Oh yeah, they need to get that authorized by upper management. They'll get back to us. Needless to say, they are really testing the patience I do not have. Washing all these dishes and pans on a daily basis is cruel and unusual punishment.

Finally we get the call back from them. Finally we get an appointment with the man to come and fix our dishwasher. Finally, I can fill it up with dirty dishes and have it wash them for me! Hurray!!!!! So, I am crossing my fingers (please work for more than three weeks), and promising myself that I will never buy a Maytag again. (Grrrrr, are all companies as frustrating as this?) Really, am I being unreasonable? I do not think so. If I followed their instructions, I would have been without a dishwasher for five months. As it is, two months was frustrating enough. I guess one unsatisfied customer won't hurt them, but at least I can voice my frustration.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm happy it got fixed! What an ordeal!

LeaAnne said...

Thats just so crazy!! I am glad that they finally came out I hope they got it all right this time!! You were MUCH nicer than I would have been. YAHOOO for washed dishes! Did they replace your other dishes?