Friday, December 7, 2007

Who Would Have Thought...

Sometime after I got married, my mother-in-law told me that someday I would want to sew. I don't remember why we were having this conversation, or where we were, or even when it was, but I do remember that inside my head I was rolling my eyes and thinking "yeah, right!" (no offense, Illene). Well, she proved to be right. I just finished my third sewing project of the year (okay, it still needs a hem and button holes, but it is wearable), and I am very proud of myself. Who would have thought that I could make friends with my sewing machine? Okay, I admit it is a love/hate relationship. I can fill a bobbin, but I still have trouble threading the machine right. Someday I will have a self-threading machine. And I admit that I would not accomplish anything without massive patience and help from my mother. I have become quite adept at cutting things out, and I hardly need any help with that part of the project, but the sewing is another story. But I am getting better. I only had to pick out one seam on my latest project, and I did the elastic and gathering all myself. It is just a good thing that I have a mother and a mother-in-law who sew, or I would never get anything finished. Of course, it is faster to get it done when I am only making one item instead of three of everything. But surprisingly enough, the desire to sew is actually there now. If I could just get faster at it, I might find it more enjoyable. I guess that comes with time.

This Christmas outfit is my most recently completed project. Some of my family thinks Ben's mama dresses him funny, but I think he is cute!


I made the girls these matching outfits for Disneyland. I made the pants, and appliqued the t-shirts with their favorite princesses. Two pairs of the pants are only half way hemmed, but they are wearable (and I will finish them).


These are the dresses that I started to make for 4th of July 2006, and actually finished in time for our Washington DC trip April 2007 (with a lot of help from my mom and finishing touches by Illene). I wouldn't recommend Daisy Kingdom patterns as a first project, they are hard!

2 comments:

LeaAnne said...

Yahoo for sewing! Who would have thought it was so fun! ;)

Alli said...

Well, I have to say, I am impressed. I would love to pick up the skill, but have yet to try anything beyond halloween costumes (which only have to hold together for one night, so I'm not usually too particular about them).