Friday, July 18, 2008

Trip To Missouri - Day 4 "We're Here!"

On day 4, we did more driving and less stopping, because Alan wanted to get a good nights sleep before going to work Monday morning. We did stop at the Nebraska state capitol building and look through it. We have found that state capitol buildings are full of interesting things and beautiful architecture.



The floor had pictures and emblems all over it...very pretty.

The inside of the domed ceiling was beautiful mosaic tile.
We took a narrow elevator up to the 14th floor to an observation deck...
It was a very narrow area...
but the view of the city was very pretty.
I really liked the arches.
Even the stairways had neat brickwork on the ceilings,
Benjamin really liked the tile pictures on the floor.
It was a good break from the car, and the kids didn't want to leave. I am glad that they like to look at statues and pictures and buildings, and are willing to listen and learn. I'm sure it is because they have grown up doing it and don't know any different.

We got to Louisiana, Missouri around 10 pm, and immediately went to pick Alan's car up from his work. (Someone from work had given him a ride to the airport) We then drove to our little apartment in Clarksville, Missouri. It was dark, but it still wasn't very enchanting. When I went in the front door, Alan was sweeping the kitchen floor. Since I can count on my hands how many times I have seen him sweep since we were married, I was immediately suspicious. When I asked him why he was sweeping, he was pretty vague in his answer. So, having been married to him for 13 years, and knowing that he knows the one thing I can't stand is BUGS, I asked him if he was sweeping up bugs. Of course the answer was "yes." I asked him if they were cockroaches, and he again answered "yes." I want you to know if there had been a hotel anywhere near us, I would have been out of there. I couldn't believe that my husband expected us to sleep in a place that had those disgusting bugs... and my kids were sleeping on the floor. Yuck!!!!!! Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night. I was sure I felt bugs on me all night long. I had never actually seen a cockroach (except in the zoo) before this trip. Now I can no longer make that claim. I told him that if he wanted us to like it here, he hadn't started out very well.


3 comments:

LeaAnne said...

ohhhhhhhhhh

I am feeling it for you..YIKES!
Be strong!
It is only for a few weeks..right! :)

Kathy said...

Glad you arrived safe and sound! Sounds like you had a great time getting there. Good luck with the BUGS!! You'll have a great adventure.

Margaret said...

Sounds like you have made new friends already...too bad they are not welcome. {kidding} Bugs are no fun!

Um...Ben is a total rockstar in all these pictures. And love the one picture with the girls...so funny!