Monday, December 1, 2008

A Cranberry Tradition

At some point during my childhood, my mom got the book "Cranberry Thanksgiving" and decided that we should make the recipe for cranberry bread off the back. It has been a family tradition since then, although rumor has it that my sisters never enjoyed making it the years that I was gone. I thought it was fun, and we have continued the tradition in my family. Every year we borrow the book from Mom (I have yet to find a copy of my own).


We read it to the kids...
and then we make the bread.

Each of the kids has to have a turn mixing, dumping, sifting, and chopping.

We've even drafted Alan to help out with the chopping.

We cut the butter into the dough,

we chop the cranberries (by hand until this year - I got a chopper last year for Christmas!)



We really have a good time together making the bread. None of my kids will even try eating it, though. We take it over to Grandma's house for dinner, and Aunt Alli, Grandma and I pretty much eat the whole loaf ourselves. Yummy!

6 comments:

Kim said...

I think it's great that you have carried the tradition on with your kids...I never enjoyed making that bread though..yuck!

Kathy said...

What a great tradition! Too bad the kids won't try it, though. And how great to see Alan back, reading to his children.

McRoberts Family said...

I didn't even know about the book!! Seriously, no wonder Kim and I hated doing it!!

Mark and Shauna said...

I LOVE, LOVE the adorable, matching aprons- how cute!:)

LeaAnne said...

I love that you guys do this together! I think the traditions of our childhood is what makes the holidays fun as adults! lol :) Yahoo for doing fun things! Plus I think the bread looks like it will be great!

SusieQ said...

How fun. My kids LOVE baking with me, too. Makes for some great memories.