Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Never a Dull Moment

Mornings on a school day are never boring at our house. A week before Christmas, it was especially exciting. Leilani reached into the hair clip drawer and pulled out a mouse. I was in my bathroom doing everyone's hair, and I heard a scream. I went to see what happened, and Leilani was in the hall crying. She told me there was a big rat in the bathroom. I had visions of a huge black rat cowering in a corner by the bathtub. Of course Alan was at work, so I had to be the big brave parent. After further questioning Leilani told me that the "rat" was in the hair clip drawer, so I looked in the drawer from as far away as possible. I couldn't see anything, so I reluctantly got closer and saw a tiny mouse in the corner of the drawer. It wasn't moving, so I assumed that Leilani had killed it when she dropped it back into the drawer. So I figured it was safe to leave it for Dad to dispose of when he got home. Just in case, though, I put Emily on a stool to watch the drawer since her hair was already done. As I was doing Leilani's hair, Emily started yelling that the mouse was moving. Everyone wanted ME to go get rid of the mouse. Yeah, right. I told Leilani to step on it, since she was the only one with shoes on, but she just started crying again. So, I did the only thing a brave mother could do...I sent the crying child downstairs to call Grandpa and beg him to come down and deal with the mouse, while we watched the drawer and hoped it didn't get out. Grandpa came to our rescue (laughing as hard as he could). He took one of the girls' boots and chased the mouse around the drawer until he finally eliminated it. It turns out that the reason the mouse couldn't get out of the drawer and away from us was that somehow it had crawled through the middle of a ponytail holder and was stuck. That really made Grandpa laugh, and he suggested we take pictures. So, here they are.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

EEK!!! What a picture. I thought at first that you guys had sewn it an outfit until I read the post.

Alli said...

Grody!!

SusieQ said...

That is a once in a lifetime experience (hopefully). A mouse in a ponytail. Great picture!