Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Change of Perspective

I had one of those mornings today. My husband's alarm kept going off and I couldn't seem to figure out how to turn it off (of course he wasn't home). My girls wanted to sit on the heater in their pajamas instead of get ready for school. At 8:15 I was still doing Emily's hair, even though school starts at 8:30. Elisabeth and Benjamin didn't want to go to the car and take their sisters to school, because they would miss the end of "Super Why." You get the picture. So as I am wrangling my kids out to the car in my "it's a good thing I don't have to go anywhere, maybe I can get a shower in later" mommy outfit (consisting of sweat pants and my nightgown thrown under a coat), you can imagine how good I was feeling about motherhood at that moment.

I started the car, looked at the clock and noticed that we had four minutes until school started (as if it were possible to get there that fast when you have to drive through two school zones on the way), and fastened my seatbelt amongst the demanding yells to turn on the primary songs. Exercising iron will, I held my tongue and turned the car in the direction of school. Reminding myself to keep the speed down (I did NOT want to be pulled over in that outfit and without my purse), I turned on the primary songs. As I heard my two year old behind me singing along with "I Feel My Savior's Love," peace poured through me. My whole perspective changed and my morning was suddenly much better. How could I be frustrated when I was listening to this choir of angels in my car singing about their Savior, Jesus Christ? It really is amazing how much power those simple songs can have in our lives.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Perspective always comes in the ways we don't except.

Good job overcoming the madness.

Love you ☺

carizolli said...

THANK YOU for this post - that's all I have to say!

SusieQ said...

Love it. There's nothing sweeter than little voices singing primary songs.

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

Lisa thank you for your post. You made me laugh, feel grateful, and cry all in one post. It's the same way I like my movies.

Alli said...

Wonderful post! Loved it! Those songs are so powerful because they are constantly in those children's minds, and they are great teaching tools. Songs are gonig to be one of the most powerful ways the children are going to be able to withstand these days.

Kelli W. said...

Oh, this is so sweet! I've been catching up on your posts since I haven't had time to be on the computer lately and this one just melted my heart. Feeling the spirit just puts everything into perspective doesn't it? I love that your children ask for the primary songs and not Hanna Montana or such! Good parenting on that one Lisa!