Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What Would You Do?

I have been emptying some boxes in my bedroom this past week, and I am trying to figure out what to do with some of the stuff. So, I decided I am going to ask all of you out there for advice. I have two shoe boxes with memorabilia, pictures and letters from two past relationships (1 box for each). Each of the relationships were fairly serious - one of the guys I was actually engaged to. Alan knows about the guys, so it isn't like the stuff is a big secret, but he hasn't read the letters, looked at the pictures, etc. So what do I do with it? My mom says, "throw it out," which seems logical, I guess, but it is a part of my personal history and tells a lot about me and who I was at those points in time. I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be useful to someone who was trying to learn about me somewhere down the road. Heck, I was enjoying reading some of the letters the other day as I went through the boxes. I'd forgotten some of the things that had happened or that I'd done. So, do I throw them out and part with that part of my life and pretend it never happened? Or do I keep them? And if I keep them, what do I do with them? Keep them in the shoe boxes and shove them in a dark corner somewhere? Scrapbook the pictures as a part of my life and store the rest of the stuff? I am wondering what other people have done with memorabilia like this. I have to admit that I do not want to throw it out, but then again I am a self proclaimed pack rat, so I guess that is not a surprise. Please, leave your comments and let me know what you would do or what you have done. I really am interested!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Um...I guess I'm mostly with your mom. But, I can see how it is a little treasure of your youth and that might be hard. What if you saved a few in a special file. And then throw away the rest?!

How about this...I have prom dresses still that I need to get rid of....I will agree to unload them on the world if you agree to part with 3/4 of your special letters?! Deal?!

carizolli said...

I say keep 'em! I wouldn't call my self a packrat, but I am a sentimental fool for sure!

You're right! It's a part of your personal history. I have a binder with notes and pictures from one of my ex-boyfriends. He was a HUGE part of my adolescence. The notes between us were better than journals (he still has my letters too. Yes, we're still in touch). I could never let go of those letters.

LeaAnne said...

I had letters and things from my seven years with my old pal David..lol Last year I read them all and threw them away! Amazing I know, I never through things away.. It was really hard to do. I NEEDED to move on. I felt the same way that I wanted to have them and when my kids get older and have relationships I could say.."I know you are hurting, I too have been hurt" then bring out the letters..lol I did save 2 pictures. (plus we get a nice Christmas letter every year..sooo I can see him (bald & heavier) and his beautiful *ok LeaAnne..be nice now* wife.)
I have the prom dresses too..they are SO going to come back in style!;0)

Margaret said...

My dresses already reached their prime a LONG time ago. But who knows maybe somebody could buy them on Craigslist. It's almost the season...

Lisa...what if you scan them and then throw them away. At least it would no longer be clutter. Plus they will fade in original form!

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

Lisa, I think the scan idea is a good one. As well as read through some and pick out the ones that have information that would be like a journal.
I have put mine in a binder and put it on the self. I like looking through them every now and then. (of course I'm not married) but I think about my mom and letters I found she had from an old boyfriend and it was very interesting to read about that part of my moms life. I would think your kids would feel similar. Plus we don't all marry the first person we fall in love with...very few of us do. It is always good to see how people handle it. Jen N

McRoberts Family said...

I'm surprised you actually asked! It seems that you will just keep them boxed as they have been and put them in a dark corner. But if you are changing, I like the idea of sorting through and keeping the stuff that notes the key points. I have already cut back on mine by doing that. Of course I still have yet to do anything but store it!!

Alli said...

I think it's a part of your history and as long as it isn't hurtful to Alan to keep it, I would keep it. When I was close to dating age, I was really interested in my mom's life before she was married. Only get rid of the things that after reading through them after such a long time, did not add any interest or important information to your life history.