Monday, May 12, 2008

Activity Day Girls Stake Activity

Saturday was our big stake primary activity that we do for the Activity Days Girls. We were at the church bright and early to set up. Leilani was up early and begging to come with me, so I let her come and help.
She put all the table cloths on the tables.
It's probably a good thing that no one saw her do it.
Leilani also helped Margaret prepare food in the kitchen,
and creatively put the spoons on the table.
We had 78 ceramic Salt Lake temples for the girls. My mom hand poured them all, then she and Kim cleaned them, other people helped glaze them, and my mom fired them in her kiln. She was very glad when they were all done.
Our activity was based on 6 of President Hinckley's "Be's". In each room the girls had a lesson and a craft based on one of the "B's". Then the girls received a family home evening lesson in each room to take home and use with their families.

We served breakfast to start off the day. We had 64 girls show up. Each of my girls brought a friend. Emilyanne brought our non-member next door neighbor and Leilani brought a friend from another stake.
Emily and her friend Chelsey enjoyed the crafts. In this room they stamped and colored stationary for their mom's for Mother's Day. It went along with the lesson on "Be Grateful."
Maybe some of you will get some of my beautiful hand-stamped stationary!
Leilani and her friend Kyenzie also enjoyed the crafts. In this room they decorated the folders to put the family home evening lessons in. We put that with the lesson on "Be Humble."
Emily put a lot of thought into decorating her folder.
In the class about "Be True," the girls made bead CTR necklaces. Susan handpainted the CTR on beads for each girl.



The girls painted bee soap in the "Be Clean" room. (We did a play on words - Bee/Be) I made 210 molded soaps, so each of the girls could have three. We originally planned to have the girls make the soap, but it took ways too long to do it in the 10-15 minutes allotted for the craft. They sure enjoyed painting them, so I don't think they missed out on anything. I typed up the instructions and showed them the steps to make it, though, in case anyone was interested in trying it on their own.

They really turned out cute! I sprayed them all with sealer while the girls were in other classes, so the paint shouldn't rub off.
In the "Be Smart" room, the girls made magnets. They did one of the Savior and one of the temple. They also folded a piece of paper into a booklet about the 6 "B's" to put in their scriptures.

I think it was a successful day. Here we are as a presidency, and we are all still smiling. We all put in a lot of work, as did the presenters who did the classes and the helpers with the crafts and the keynote speaker at the end (Be Prayerful). I doubt the girls know how much time and effort go into this event on their behalf, but they sure do love to come. We hear them talk about it all year long!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Yeah I want copies of the pictures of us!!!

rachel said...

Hi Lisa,

Both my daughters were there... I just wanted to say Thank You for all your hard work. It was my oldest's last Stake Activity Days and she was so excited to go. (she'll be 12 in October)

And tell your wonderful MOTHER that she did a tremendous job on the temples!! Holy Cow, now there's alot of work. My 9 year old wrapped hers up and gave it to me for Mother's Day. It's a treasure.

Thanks again!
Rachel H.
SC 3 Ward

Mark and Shauna said...

WOW, you guys did an amazing job. I remember going to activities like that in young women's and when I was in... I think it was called Merry Miss back then (right?). But, as a girl you always LOVE and completely enjoy those activities, but I don't think you appreciate how much work goes into them until you are older and are doing them yourself:). Just from the pictures it looks like you guys did a WONDERFUL job!!

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

Very impressed. YOU did a wonderful job in your callings, all of you did. I know the girls will always remember this activity.