Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Skate World

Our school sponsored a night of free skating at Skate World. It used to be THE place back in the '80's. Somehow it has still managed to survive.
Leilani had a blast. She knows how to skate, so she and her friends had a good time. She played all the games (red light/green light, musical numbers and Hokey Pokey) and burned up lots of energy.
Emily was kind of wimpy at first. She wouldn't skate by herself - she had to hold on to either Mom or Dad.

In fact she fell a lot, and of course I had to take her picture!
She finally braved up after Elisabeth decided that she would only skate by herself. Emily couldn't be outdone by her little sister!
Elisabeth had a lot of fun. She skated with Mom and Dad for a while (neither Alan or I fell all night...hurray!), and then practiced in the practice rink for a bit. Then she decided she could do it, and she skated by herself the rest of the night. Either Alan or I skated next to her most of the time. It was cute, though, Emily came up to me at one point and said, "I'll skate with Elisabeth now, you can go skate with Dad for a while." What a sweet daughter!
We left Benjamin home with Grandma and Grandpa Bevans. I didn't think he was old enough to skate yet (although he puts on an old pair of roller blades at my mom's house and rolls himself around, so who knows what he can do). So he dressed like a race car driver and played with cars.
Our cousins go to the same school, so we saw them at the activity. Kyle wasn't quite sure if he liked it or not, but I think he had fun.
Charlotte had fun too. She hung out with Elisabeth in the practice rink a lot.
Emily's friend Cybela came with us. She goes to our school too. She is Jamie Teran's daughter, for those of you who know the Terans.

I borrowed my Mom's camera for the event. I didn't skate with it on, for fear I would drop it or fall and break it, but I didn't need to worry about any of that. Every time I use her camera, the battery dies, and it happened again at Skate World. So, I got one short video and some candid pictures and then locked the camera away for the night. We had a lot of fun, though. I'm glad our school sponsors these fun events!

2 comments:

LeaAnne said...

How fun! I loved to skate back in the day..lol What a great school activity! I would have loved to have seen the whole night, but at least you got one great video!

SusieQ said...

Good ole' Skate World. You gotta love the funky carpet...I don't think they've changed it since I used to go there ( a LONG time ago!)