Friday, May 30, 2008

Emily's 2nd Grade Play - Urashima Taro


On Friday the 16th, we attended Emily's school play, Urashima Taro. It is a Japanese fisherman story. Basically a fisherman catches a fish and lets it go and then the fish comes back and takes the fisherman to an undersea kingdom where he gets gifts and entertainment. When he goes back home he finds that many years have passed and all his family and friends are gone. Then he opens his gifts, but they lost me at that point and I'm not sure what the significant point of the gift was. I need to ask Emily, I guess.
She was the undersea princess.
After the play they played the drums. The taiko drums are so big that you can hardly see Emily over the top of them.

She does pretty well playing them, though.

This is Emily's Japanese teacher, Michiko. She recommended Emily for an audition for the Oregon's Children's Choir after this performance. Her audition is tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

This clip shows Emily saying one of her Japanese speaking parts.

This clip shows her singing the duet she was picked to sing - in Japanese of course. You have to pardon the video quality. I use the video button on my mom's 35 m camera, and it is not great quality...but it is better than nothing!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Way to go, Emily! Sounds like you were a real star of the show. Good luck with your choir auditions!

Margaret said...

I really wanted my kids to do Oregon Children's choir but I couldn't get around that the performances were mostly on Sunday (that people pay to get in).