Monday, June 30, 2008

Memorial Weekend 2008

We had beautiful weather for Memorial Weekend this year. I was so afraid that it was going to be cold and rainy, but it wasn't! Hurray!! We slept warm and dry as we camped at Honeyman Park with family and friends.
Dad treated us to his yummy campfire cooking, along with all the food prepared by Mom, Kim and everyone else.

The kids liked to be able to "graze" for food whenever they wanted to.
The kids had a good time riding scooters and bikes in front of our campsites. We camped in a new area this time (which for the record, I really liked...but I don't need electricity like most of the campers with trailers and motorhomes do), which had a hill in the roadway that made riding bikes fun and exciting. There wasn't as much traffic, so I didn't mind them playing in the street!

Leilani broke my mom's little "big wheel" bike, but I think the kids had more fun pushing around the broken wheel than they did riding the bike!
We played at the playground a lot.
Benjamin was perfectly willing to let himself be buried.
Then my kids all decided to jump out of the swings. Believe it or not, Elisabeth was actually the first one to do it and then her older sisters followed suit. I got some great pictures, and thankfully nobody broke anything!


Benjamin had to try too, of course, but he didn't get much air :)
We went to a couple of nature lessons put on by the rangers (might as well learn while you play, right?) This one was about beavers. Leilani is examining a beaver skull, I think.
This is the beaver fur.
They made beaver masks with the help of some parents (I was impressed that my brothers took the time to come and share the event with their kids)

In case you haven't figured out, I LOVE to take pictures. I really need to get a digital camera, because I burn a lot of film! So I borrowed my mom's camera a lot during the weekend. I wanted to see what kind of bubble pictures I could take of the kids while they were playing with bubbles.


We also climbed the sand dunes with the kids.
Even both very pregnant women!

Everybody in my family is used to me sticking a camera in their face, so they all endure my endless photo shoots with patience (at least to my face). The kids are even getting trained to pose for me without question, but this shot took the help of all the parents! After the grandkids shoot, Brooke was in the mood to pose for me. This is unusual, because she usually hides from me, so I took advantage and got several cute shots!

My mom and dad surprised us and came up on the dunes also.


Dollar store plastic horses and dinosaurs keep the kids entertained for hours.
We were able to get a family shot after church on Sunday. We sure love our traditional Memorial and Labor Day camping trips!
On the way home we stopped at Heceta Head beach - another tradition.
Grandpa and I took a bunch of pictures. I just realized that I don't have any of his...I guess I will have to ask him for copies.


It was kind of cold at the beach, but my kids wouldn't have missed it for anything. It was low tide, so they played in the caves and the tidepools and had a great time. We are already looking forward to Labor Day!

p.s. Kelly, I need your email address so that I can send you your pictures.

4 comments:

carizolli said...

Family traditions are the BEST! How fun!

I loved your grandkids picture. What a cute idea! Although, it looks like Isabella and Elisabeth didn't think it was such a good idea *lol*

Oh, and AWESOME swing-jumping pictures too! My digital camera never would have caught those shots! It's too slow!

Margaret said...

So fun! Love the pictures of the kids on the log. Cute idea.

Your mom looks adorable.

Kelli W. said...

Hey! I've been catching up on your life! Your photos are great...photography may be your next calling in life?? Your good! I hope your summer in missouri goes well. I'll be checking in to see!
I didn't know you had photos for me..I thought you took them with my camera so this will be a fun suprise! my email is kpbw@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Alli said...

Thanks for taking all the pictures - I never do, but I'm always glad they're there. I love the one of Hailey with the broken bike! I was hoping someone got a picture of that!