Monday, January 12, 2009

Our Family Christmas

This year Christmas was a very different experience for our family. It was the first time that we have been able to spend Christmas with Grandma and Grandpa Walker (Alan's parents), and it was the first time in my entire life that I haven't spent Christmas (or Christmas Eve) with my family at my parents' home. While we missed the Bevans side of the family, we really enjoyed spending the holiday with Mel and Illene.
We did get together with my family the Sunday before Christmas, and we enjoyed a visit from Santa Claus. The kids were excited to get an early Christmas gift.

We watched Kim's kids one night, and Emily decided to be Santa for the little kids. She tied her hair under her chin to make a beard and then had the kids sit on her lap. Hailey didn't want anything to do with her, but Travis didn't seem to mind.
On Christmas Eve we went caroling with some of my family. When we got home we opened our traditional pair of pajamas.
Alan and Benjamin wore their matching pajamas from last year, since they still fit.

The girls asked for matching pajamas with their dolls, and luckily I was able to find a very good deal. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything in my size that came even close to matching them, so I was the odd person out of the matching pajama tradition this year.
Everyone had a good time on Christmas morning. Benjamin had a car theme going.
Elisabeth came up with her own presents for Mom and Dad. She made her dad and origami sock.
Leilani was excited to get things that had to do with her Julie doll.

Santa brought doll chairs, doll table, doll dishes, doll food, doll clothes and many other things to make little girls and their dolls happy.
Benjamin received his dream motercycle scooter on the promise to Santa that he was a big boy and was potty trained now. (He has only had it taken away a couple of times when he has had accidents. For the most part he is doing really well. Hurray!)
We were able to hear the traditional poem that Mel writes Illene every year. He is very creative. I didn't know he had this hidden talent!

This is the first Christmas dinner I have ever had at my house. We actually used my Christmas dishes - once I remembered where they were being stored. LOL Notice all the people still in pajamas? We actually ate at dinner time, but it is our family tradition to stay in pajamas all day on Christmas.


We usually have our nativity on Christmas Eve, but we were caroling a little later than expected on Christmas Eve, so we did the nativity on Christmas night instead. Benjamin and I were the wisemen.
Emily was excited because she got to be Mary for the first time.
Grandma Walker was the shepherd, Elisabeth was the sheep and Leilani was the angel.
Alan was Joseph and Mel said he was a cow, but he also narrated the story from the scriptures for us. It was a very nice Christmas.
Even though Christmas was mid week, my kids still got matching Christmas outfits. So, here they are in their finery.





5 comments:

carizolli said...

Your kids are so beautiful in their fancy Christmas clothes :) Looks like it was a wonderful holiday!

Kathy said...

What great traditions you have! I love the blue matching pjs. And the Nativity play couldn't have been better.

Margaret said...

Very fun! Jammies all day sounds like a nice plan. I love those dresses!

LeaAnne said...

I love the fact that you stay in your PJ's all day! Great pictures! I love that Mel said he was a cow! Did you feel like the dinner turned out the way you wanted? I am Sure it was great!

Alli said...

Gorgeous Christmas dresses and pajamas! I've never heard of a skinny red-headed Santa, but wahtever works :) I missed you guys this year, but I'm sure Alan's parents appreciated the time spent with them.