Thursday, January 15, 2009

**Warning! Potty topics ahead!***

I have been working on potty training my son for the past month or so, and let me tell you it is an adventure! I actually think I missed my window this past summer. He was so ready and he would tell us when he needed to go potty, but we were traveling and there never seemed to be a bathroom around. I know he is a boy, and he doesn't need an "official" bathroom, but he doesn't seem to know that. My well meaning brother (I'll just let you guys try and figure out which one) tried to teach my son to pee on truck tires, in bushes, behind trees, ect. but he wasn't interested. What can I say? His dad was gone and he lives in a household of girls.

Anyway, this is the fourth child I have potty trained, so you would think I'd be a pro. But he is a boy...and that seems to be very different. I have five brothers, so I am not a stranger to the way of boys, but it doesn't seem to help. For instance, why does my son like to pee on his hand? (sorry, I warned you there would be potty topics) He goes out of his way to do it, and tells me he wants to, but why? He won't spray a tree, but likes to hit his hand? Where is the logic? I'm sure I will never understand.

He is too short to stand up and pee in the toilet, so he sits down, but then he seems to spray straight out and get his pants all wet. I thought I had this solved by telling him to lean forward and watch where he was aiming, but he was doing that in the church bathroom and ended up peeing on his forehead (no, I am not making this up). None of my girls ever had that problem.

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say I have decided that potty training a boy is definitely something the dad should do instead of the mom. Right now, I am the one potty trained - as long as I put him on the toilet every couple of hours, we are good. If I forget, I usually have a mess to clean up. He doesn't tell me he needs to go potty very often, and he has only gone in and done it on his own once. But, he has NEVER had an accident at night or during nap time, so I guess that is something. Hopefully the rest will come. He doesn't wear anything but underwear now, so at least I am saving money on diapers. Any words of advice? Surely my son can't be so different from all the others out there...

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh boy. That's fun. I did that several years ago....so let's see what I can remember. I'd have Bennett sit and push it down and close his legs....that seemed to avert the oversquirting.

Kathy said...

:-D Good luck! We did Meg's idea, but that built-in "hose" is definitely a problem. (On his hand?!) Maybe a tiny step-stool with a square of toilet tissue floating on the water as a target would be interesting to him.

Mark and Shauna said...

LOL- wow, looks like I have a lot of fun times ahead to look forward too! Jackson already pees on me (as I'm sure you experienced when Ben was a baby:)). Good Luck!!:)